January 16th, 2012
SOUTH WHITLEY â The Lady Wildcats basketball team trailed the entire first quarter Saturday in South Whitley. They took the lead early in the second period. They never trailed again, beating the Southwood Lady Knights, 52-44.
Southwoodâs Mollie Harn-ish scored the first bucket and four of the Lady Knightâs first eight points as Whitko went down to an early 8-2 lead.
Lady Wildcat Michaela Sylvester scored the only goal for Whitko in the series until senior Katie Reiff hit a trey nearly three minutes into the game to make the score 8-5.
GOSHEN â Two of the three Whitley County schools â Columbia City and Whitko â competed Saturday in the 44th Annual Goshen Invitational, with the Eagles finishing in third place while the Wildcats came in seventh.
At 182 pounds, Eagle Russell Hazelet came in second overall after defeating Bronsonâs (Mich.) Leo Mora almost six minutes into the match and falling to Fairfieldâs Dalton Hinen in almost identical fashion.
Representing the 220-pound weight class was Columbia Cityâs Tristan Anglin, who made it all the way to the finals before being pinned.
For more photos of Saturday's Show Choir, see Monday's edition of The Post & Mail.
A pair of Whitley County residents will mark their 100th birthdays next week.
Gertrude Brock is lovingly known as âGertieâ to all of her friends and family.
She will turn 100 years old on Wednesday.
Gertie was born in South Bend and went to school until she was 17 in the South Bend school system.
She and her entire family are Notre Dame fans.
Her grandfather, father and brother joined her in working at the Studebaker Corporation.
âShe worked in the file and mail room until 1933,â said Florence Linn, a daughter.
Tonight's (Jan. 13) Columbia City boys basketball game against Homestead has been postponed due to the weather. The game is rescheduled for Tuesday, February 14.
By JAMES THOMLISON
COLUMBIA CITY â The Indiana Poison Center (IPC) is reminding everyone about a potentially deadly poison that can be easy to overlook because it has no color and is odorless.
That poison is carbon monoxide (CO), a gas that forms when something is not burned completely or is burned in an enclosed space where there is insufficient airflow. CO poisons the bodyâs cells and stops them from getting and using oxygen.
The intersection of U.S. 30 and Lincolnway is covered in snow before sunrise Friday morning.
SOUTH WHITLEY â A short-handed Whitko Wild-cat Wrestling squad rallied from a 15-0 deficit to down visiting Three Rivers Conference foe Rochester 36-33 on a cold blustery Thursday night.
The Wildcats forfeited in five weight classes as injuries depleted the Whitko lineup. Rochester forfeited three classes of their own.
Fortunately for the Wildcats, two classes were double forfeits, so the effect of the limited lineup was lessened.
CHURUBUSCO â The Lady Eagles, playing in a consolation game as part of the Northeast Corner Conference Basketball Tournament, picked up their seventh straight loss to visiting Prairie Heights Thursday, 61-43.
âBuscoâs starting five produced only six points in the first quarter; the team scored just one basket, earning four points from the free-throw line.
Lady Panther Tressa Terry also scored six in the first quarter, part of her game-high 17.
Many people, looking for fever-reducing medicine for their children ranging in age from six months to 7 years, will buy one product to be used for all of them.
Some buy liquid acetaminophen in concentrated drops for infants, thinking they can use a dropper for the baby and a teaspoon for the oldest.
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), this can be a very dangerous mistake.
Sandra Kweder, M.D., deputy director of the FDAâs Office of New Drugs, says concentrated drops in much larger amounts â as would be given with a teaspoon â can cause fatal overdoses.