Archive - 2013 - News Article
COLUMBIA CITY â Residents of Thorncreek Township responded in greater numbers than any other area Thursday to the Red Cross Bloodmobileâs appeal for blood at the Zion Lutheran Church.
The goal of 58 was not met, as only 50 pints of blood were collected.
Roberta Metzger received a seven-gallon pin in recognition of gallons she had donated.
Volunteers at the registration table were Nancy Souers, Mary Cornmesser, Sharon Kimmel and Ellen Hively.
Other volunteers were Steve Smith, Sharon Cearbaugh, Mollie Payne, Ruthie Busick, Diana K. Walter, Roberta Metzger and Diane Foughty.
WHITLEY COUNTY â Beginning Oct. 15, Community Action of Northeast Indiana (CANI) will be accepting calls to schedule appointments for energy assistance for all of its offices in Allen, DeKalb, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben and Whitley counties.
The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay a portion of a householdâs heating bills during the winter months.
Last year, CANI helped approximately 9,500 families with their utility bills. Households include both renters and homeowners. They are eligible for this benefit one time a heating season.
CHURUBUSCO â Smith-Green Community Schools (SGCS) Board of Trustees heard no public comment at its hearing for the 2014 budget, and will look to adopt it in October.
The public comment was the final phase of the budget process before adoption.
Business Manager Todd Fleetwood said the advertised budget for this year is lower than what last yearâs approved budget was and lower than 2012âs.
Fleetwood said the actual budget often is lower than advertised, because he overestimates based on the chance the district might need more faculty.
COLUMBIA CITY â Tragedy struck again this week, as another young child drowned in Whitley County Saturday.
Lucas Junk, 2, was the second toddler in four months in Whitley County who lost his life in a matter of minutes after falling into a body of water.
CHURUBUSCO â A small engine repair and tool rental business in Churubusco was damaged Wednesday in a fire.
At approximately 2:10 p.m., crews were called to Precision Sharpening and Engine.
Flames burned the attic of the one-story building, located at 8435 U.S. 33, fire officials report.
Officials say the fire started after electrical wiring in the attic shorted out and ignited the insulation.
COLUMBIA CITY â An 18-year-old man will stand trial next week for attempted murder.
Dakota R. Kimbler, 18, will have his trial begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday in Whitley County Circuit Court. The jury will convene at that time.
Kimbler was arrested Dec. 9 of last year, when he was 17 years old. In addition to attempted murder, he was also charged with receiving stolen property, battery causing bodily injury and carrying a handgun without a permit.
Outside of the Haunted Jail, in Columbia City, a dying tree was transformed into a ghoulish figure by its owner, Paul Harrington.
The Haunted Jail opens for a âfriends and familyâ weekend to serve as the attractionâs dress rehearsal.
The Halloween-themed affair will begin its season in the following weekends.
LARWILL â A community health fair is slated for Saturday at Whitko Middle School from 8 a.m. to noon.
Sara St. Clair, Whitko Community School Corporation nurse, is coordinating the event, and said the fair is intended to take a âfunâ approach to health.
âWe wanted to do something to give parents a way to meet their health needs,â St. Clair said. âThe fair will put information in their hands about preventative care as well as present health care concerns, and itâs all under one roof.â
More than 40 health care vendors will be set up to offer aid in social, mental and physical care.
A beekeeper, Mike Lewis, spoke on how to raise honey bees at a new series of monthly workshops hosted by the Whole Health Wellness Center, Inc., a nonprofit community garden and education center.
The event was held at the Whitley County YMCA Tuesday night and gave participants information on making their own honey.
Next month, the workshop is slated for Oct. 19 from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Y, and will feature Joy Gilraine, of Columbia City, as the guest speaker. She will be offering her tips on how to can and freeze vegetables. Workshops are free and open to the public.
CHURUBUSCO (Sept. 25, 2013) â A Churubusco business caught fire this afternoon. Fire crews fought a fire on the roof afternoon after an employee thought he smelled something burning and discovered a fire in the attic.
According to Jim Horne, Captain of the Smith Township Fire Department, crews were called out to the fire at Precision Sharpening and Engine, located at 8435 U.S. 33, at around 2:15 p.m. on Wednesday.
Horne said one of the workers thought he smelled burning wires and then discovered smoke and flames in the attic.