July 22nd, 2013
COLUMBIA CITY â€” As part of the Whitley County 4-H Fair, rabbits were judged and critiqued July 13.
Results were as follows:
â€˘Best In Show - Lindzie Gibson with her Mini Rex
â€˘Best 6-Class Rabbit - Taylor Calloway with her Beveren
Runners competed in the Salute a Soldier 5K run in Columbia City Saturday morning.
Pictured, Angie Smith runs the last mile on North Columbia Parkway.
Lincolnway District of Anthony Wayne Area Council held its 37th Annual Cub Scout Day Camp with 244 campers registered for 2013.
The camp has seen over 200 campers each year for about 20 years.
Packs in Kosciusko County with 50 percent or more of their youth registered were: North Webster Pack 3726 â€“ 61 percent, Eisenhower School Pack 3731 â€“ 66 percent, Pierceton Pack 3761 - 50 percent, Harrison School 3772 â€“ 50 percent, LDS Church 3776 â€“ 88 percent, and Syracuse 3828- 51 percent.
With temperatures reaching the 90s last week, local residents took a break from the hottest days of the summer by swimming at Burnworth Memorial Pool in Columbia City Sunday.
Pictured, sisters Gianna Whiteman (left) and Gabrielle Whiteman (right) hold hands as they jump in.
COLUMBIA CITY â€” Personal safety concerns are on the rise as crime has been more violent and frequent in Whitley County recently.
With sexual attacks against minors repeatedly reaching the inside of Whitley County courtrooms, some citizens have started asking, â€śWhat can we do to keep ourselves and our kids safe?â€ť
Dean Houser is a martial arts expert and managing director for Living Arts do jo in Columbia City.
Through his training in martial arts and overall fitness, he has developed a program to teach personal defense and safety.
COLUMBIA CITY â€” According to Columbia City Park Director Mark Green, if the July 3 fireworks at Morsches seemed smaller â€” itâ€™s because they were.
Green said part of the fireworks budget will be used for the fall festival, which will be returning to the city this year.
In 2012, the city held the Whitley County Fall Festival in September. This was an opportunity for citizens to see a fireworks display and enjoy other activities at Morsches Park. There were no Independence Day fireworks in 2012 due to drought conditions.
COLUMBIA CITY â€” An effort to be fair to all students led Whitley County Consolidated Schools Board of Trustees to discuss valedictorians and possible changes to its grade-weighting system.
Superintendent Dr. Pat Oâ€™Connor said she would like to propose the Board of Trustees make a motion to eliminate increased grade weights for Advanced Placement (AP) courses.
While brainstorming this issue, some on the board said the designations of valedictorian and salutatorian have created a great deal of trouble, possibly more than either is worth.
The chemical fire at C&R Plating has been extinguished.
The air-conditioning and open window recommendation has been lifted in Columbia City. The southwest corner of the city was under this recommendation because of a chemical fire at C & R Plating in Columbia City.â€¨All streets are now open in the southwest corner of the city.
Columbia City Mayor Ryan Daniel advises that citizens who feel a burning sensation on their skin or have a rash should use cold water and soap to wash it away. If symptoms persist, they should contact a medical professional.
Individuals living south of Market Street, east of Walnut Street and West of Chauncey Street in Columbia City are being asked to restrict their air conditioning usage. Individuals in this part of the city are advised to remain in doors with no windows open and the air conditioner turned off.
If residents wish to go somewhere away from their home, they are welcome to go to City Hall, the County Government Center or the First Church of God.
A chemical fire at C & R Plating in Columbia City has left several people injured.
The fire broke out this afternoon at the plant, located at 302 Factory Avenue, near the intersection of South Line Street.
Columbia City residents have been asked to turn off air conditioners and close windows to avoid breathing in the possibly dangerous chemical smell, according to Whitley County Emergency Management.
Emergency officials sent out a notification at 1:02 p.m. stating that South Street was closed due to the fire.