Skip to main content

Second-half slam lifts ’Busco

March 1, 2011

Churubusco center Tyler Arrowsmith puts in two of his 14 second half points Tuesday. Arrowsmith led the Eagles to a sectional opener win over Fremont 59-49. ’Busco advances to play Garrett Friday. Post & Mail photo / Andrew Shultz

   GARRETT — Heading into the third quarter Tuesday’s class 2A Garrett sectional opener, Churubusco center Tyler Arrowsmith hadn’t posted a single point.
   Arrowsmith called his own number scoring all of his team-high 14 points in the second half to jump past Fremont 59-49.
   Friday’s 6 p.m. semifinal will be a rematch of a disappointing 47-40 loss at Garrett during the regular season. ’Busco will look to advance to the sectional championship for only the sixth time in school history against host Garrett (7-12), who earned a first-round bye.
   Leading by as much as 11 points, Arrowsmith kept the ’Busco lead intact as Fremont’s Logan Cade hit three consecutive three-pointers in the fourth quarter.
   Arrowsmith scored eight of his team’s last nine points of the game.
   With Fremont down 50-47 with 2:01 left, Arrowsmith pulled down an offensive rebound off a missed three-pointer and included a dunk for a 9-2 ’Busco run to close out the game.
   “We had to make a little bit of an adjustment in the second half,”  Churubusco head coach Mike McBride said. “Once we were able to pull them out of their zone a little higher, we were able to feed it into him.
   “I think the fact that we hit some threes in the first half helped them have to come out.”
   Churubusco (14-6) trailed by as much as seven points in first quarter. The Eagles closed the gap to one point by the end of the quarter 14-13 with the help of three-pointers.
   Five shots from behind the arc fell in the first half for Churubusco. Senior Jordan Turner hit two of those shots with the second tying the game 16-16 with 5:57 left in the first half.
   “Jordan Turner was really big tonight coming out at the start of the game and knocking down some good threes for us early,” McBride said.
   ’Busco recovered from an early deficit to shoot 11-of-20 (55 percent)  in the first half — finishing 20-for-35 (57 percent) for the game.
   A 29-20 halftime lead grew to 31-20 at one point in the third quarter.
   Fremont used turnovers by the Eagles to rally heading into the final quarter down 39-33.
   “Our kids executed what we wanted to do,” McBride said. “We just had one stretch there where we were up 10 points and then Cade got on fire.
   “Cade played how I thought a senior might play tonight. He hit quite a few threes.”
   The senior guard for Fremont scored 11 of his game-high 17 points in the fourth quarter. Cade cut the   ’Busco lead to 50-47 with 3:37 remaining off back-to-back threes.
   “We were expected to beat them after beating them by 23 (points) on our home floor,” McBride said. “There is pressure when you’re supposed to win the game. We came out tight.
   “But we told our kids it’s a 32-minute game. It’s not a four-minute game.”
   Churubusco closed out the game shooting 14-of-16 from the free throw line including 6-for-7 from Arrowsmith.

View more articles in:


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes