Skip to main content

BOSTON BOMBS: Marathon blast leaves at least 3 dead

April 16, 2013

BOSTON (AP) — The bombs that blew up seconds apart at the finish line of one of the world’s most storied races left the streets spattered with blood and glass, three dead, including an 8-year-old boy, more than 140 wounded and gaping questions of who chose to attack at the Boston Marathon and why.

Federal investigators said no one had claimed responsibility for the bombings one of the city’s most famous civic holidays, Patriots Day. But the blasts among the throngs of spectators raised fears of a terrorist attack.

President Barack Obama was careful not to use the words “terror” or “terrorism” as he spoke at the White House Monday after the deadly bombings, but an administration official said the bombings were being treated as an act of terrorism.

“We will find out who did this. We’ll find out why they did this,” the president said. “Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups, will feel the full weight of justice.”

The bombs blew up seconds apart Monday at the finish line of one of the world’s most storied races, killing at least three people, including an 8-year-old boy, and wounding more than 140 more.

The FBI took charge of the investigation into the bombings, serving a warrant late Monday on a home in suburban Boston and appealing for any video, audio and still images taken by marathon spectators.

A European security official said Tuesday initial evidence indicates that the attacks were not the work of suicide bombers.

“So far, investigators believe it was not the work of suicide bombers, but it is still too early to rule it out completely,” said the official.

The fiery explosions took place about 10 seconds and about 100 yards apart, knocking spectators and at least one runner off their feet, shattering windows and sending dense plumes of smoke rising over the street and through the fluttering national flags lining the route.

Blood stained the pavement, and huge shards were missing from window panes as high as three stories. Victims suffered broken bones, shrapnel wounds and ruptured eardrums.

Columbia City is holding its annual Veterans Marathon Nov. 9 this year. Mayor Ryan Daniel said the race is still on as scheduled and precautions will be taken.

“We have no plans on changing it at the moment,” he said. “I know that we have a very good cooperation regarding the Veterans Marathon with city police and the sheriff’s department. I can promise you we will be on guard when that time happens.”

Daniel doesn’t want citizens to be afraid

“I would not want to put fear into anyone,” he said. “We do a good job of protecting our residents. Unfortunately tragic events like what happened (Monday) do put an element of fear in. We will work hard to make sure that element isn’t taken out on events in Columbia City and Whitley County in the future.”

Monday’s tragedy won’t soon be forgotten, but Daniel found one positive.

“Obviously it’s a tremendous tragedy for not only Boston, but the country,” he said. “The great part I saw in those videos is how quickly law enforcement, National Guard, even racers were going to help people caught up in the bombing. The one glimmer of hope is that goodness, love and charity continues to survive in times like this.”

NEW CASTLE — Loaded with basketball talent and tradition, the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame...
WARSAW — After a string of eight straight wins to open the season, the Columbia City Lady Eagles...
CHURUBUSCO — Churubusco dropped to third in the latest Class A Indiana High School Wrestling...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes