Skip to main content

BREAKING NEWS: Name of policeman shot in face – as well as suspect killed – released by authorities

December 15, 2011

WATERLOO, Ind. — Indiana State Police have released the name of a northeastern Indiana police officer who was shot in the face while responding to a distress call.
State Police Sgt. Ron Galaviz says 47-year-old Deputy Marshal Stephen Brady, of Pleasant Lake, remained in serious condition at Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne.
Brady is a 13-year veteran of the Waterloo Police Department, located in DeKalb County. He was shot while responding to a report that a man and woman had knocked on someone’s door about 3 a.m. Thursday saying they needed help because their car was stuck in a ditch.
The man was fatally shot by police and the woman critically injured about 6 a.m. when police said the man pointed a gun at officers as the pair hid beneath a deck blocks from the original shooting scene.
The suspect killed was identified by DeKalb County Coroner Jeff Warner, as Ralph Daniel Hardiek, 41, of Auburn. He died at the scene from his wounds. The woman, whose identity is still being withheld, is in critical condition at an undisclosed hospital.
According to Detective Mark Heffelfinger and DeKalb County Prosecutor ClaraMary Winebrenner, sometime before 3 a.m., a white male and white female went to a residence on County Road 35, just north of town, to seek assistance for a vehicle that was said to have been stuck in a ditch.
Two Waterloo officers were sent to find the man, woman and vehicle to render assistance to them. Just after 3 a.m., one of the officers is believed to have encountered the two in the area of Railroad and Center Streets in the town of Waterloo. It was at this time, the officer, a 13-year veteran, was shot in the face. He is in serious condition at a Fort Wayne hospital.
Suspects killed, wounded
At approximately 6 a.m., a call was received by a citizen in the 200 block of South Center Street indicating that there were some people hiding under his deck.
When officers arrived, they found a man and woman laying under the deck as reported, refusing to obey the officers’ commands.
It was reported that a taser device was deployed to gain voluntary compliance. It was allegedly at this time the male displayed a hand gun and pointed it at officers.
The officers, fearing for their safety, fired an unknown number of rounds hitting both the man and woman. according to Indiana State Police.
The investigation is ongoing by the Indiana State Police and the DeKalb County Prosecutor’s Office.


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes