Skip to main content

’Busco derails in second half

February 16, 2011

Churubusco guard Josh LeFever pulls up over Garrett’s Quentin Fiandt (24) and Eric Custer (55) in a road trip for the Eagles Tuesday night. Second-half struggles saw the Railroaders rally snapping a four-game winning streak for ’Busco. Post & Mail photo / Andrew Shultz

   GARRETT — One glaring statistic stuck out Tuesday night when the Churubusco boys’ basketball team hit the road to Garrett.
   3-for-12 (25 percent).
   That is what the Eagles shot from the free throw line in the second half of a road loss to the Railroaders 47-40.
   “It’s been a little bit of an issue all year and tonight it got us,” Churubusco head coach Mike McBride said. “It comes back to bite you and it bit us tonight.”
   The Eagles 11-for-21 (52 percent) total at the free throw line for the game wasn’t much better. All around, Churubusco’s shooting struggled going 14-of-39 (36 percent) from the field and 1-for-14 from the three-point line.
   Despite the off night, the Eagles held a lead throughout the first half.
   “We’ve lost some games this year where we’ve not played well at all throughout long stretches of the game and we’ve still been in the game at the end,” McBride noted.
   ’Busco got what it wanted early with the inside play of center Tyler Arrowsmith. The six-foot-eight-inch junior posted all seven of his points in the first quarter.
   The Eagles built up a 15-8 lead during the first quarter.
   Garrett’s quick guard play helped them tie the game 15-15 by the end of the first. Drake Landes scored nine of his game-high 15 points in the quarter along with all seven points in a 7-0 run to close out the first for Garrett.
   Foul trouble struck Churubusco with Arrowsmith hitting the bench with two fouls and 5:30 remaining in the half.
   Senior Kyle Monk picked up the slack scoring six of his team-high 12 points in the second. The effort by Monk built the Churubusco lead back up to six points at halftime 29-23.
   The Eagles shot 10-for-20 in the first half but that quickly changed in the second half.
   One field goal was all that ’Busco could produce in a third quarter where Garrett gained its first lead of the game.
   Railroader big man Eric Custer gave Garrett a 33-31 lead with his post presence. Custer scored four points in the third along with 13 points for the game.
   Meanwhile, Churubusco went 1-for-8 from the free throw line going down 37-32 in the quarter. The Eagles missed six consecutive free throws at one point as the fourth quarter hit the five minute mark.
   “I thought we did a good job in the third getting the ball inside and getting fouled,” McBride stated. “Then we go 1-for-8 from the free throw line and 1-for-6 from the field. I thought we were fortunate to only be down five after being outscored 14-3 in the third.”
   Within three points 43-40 in the fourth, ’Busco made only three field goals to seal its second-half fate.

View more articles in:


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes