Skip to main content

Col. City unravels, ’Dogs rally

January 31, 2011

Columbia City’s Sidney Bunyan turns to the basket in the second half of the Lady Eagles home game Saturday night. Post & Mail photo / Nicole Ott

   A fourth-quarter run sparked New Haven just enough for the win in Saturday night’s girls’ basketball game against Columbia City.
   The Lady Bulldogs hung around just a little too long, handing the Lady Eagles a 54-53 conference loss.
Columbia City (10-9, 1-6) stole the momentum early in the game gaining a 19-13 lead after the first eight minutes.
   Corinna Raypole had eight of her 18 points in the first quarter picking up nearly half of the Lady Eagles first-quarter points.
   Columbia City’s Hannah Schnorr had a spark near the end of the second quarter scoring five of her seven points in less than a minute.
   The Lady Eagles carried their six-point lead through the second quarter leaving the score at 29-23 at halftime.
   “They kept thinking we were going to go away, and we didn’t go away,” New Haven head coach Gary Cobb.
   New Haven continued to hang around in the third quarter cutting Columbia City’s lead to three going into the final eight minutes of play.
   The Lady Eagles held the lead the entire game until the final 5:45 of the fourth quarter, when New Haven scored off a turnover.
   “We started making some bad passes and bad decisions,” Columbia City head coach Amy Shearer said. “They thought the pressure was more than it was and they didn’t handle it very well.”
   This sparked an 11-2 run for the Lady Bulldogs, giving them a 50-42 lead with 3:00 left in the game.
   “We hung around, then we had a big run,” Cobb noted.
   The Lady Eagles didn’t give up, free throws by Kayla Dunn and Raypole got Columbia City back in the game 54-50 with 47.8 seconds to go.
   Dunn followed Raypole in scoring with 12 points.
   With 16.9 seconds left, after a pair of free throws by Dunn brought the lead down to two, the New Haven in-bounder tripped up on end line giving Columbia City possession.
   Both Dunn and Sierra Burlage took shots but neither were able to connect.
   “We had a few turnovers and lost our confidence,” Shearer said.
   Burlage was held to one point for the game.
   The final seconds were a free throw shoot-out, with each team shooting eight free throws a piece in the final minutes.
   New Haven connected with three of its while the Lady Eagles doubled them with six.
   But six free throws wasn’t enough for Columbia City, when it fell behind by one with 3.5 seconds to go.
New Haven in-bounded the ball and held it, handing the Lady Eagles a 54-53 loss.
   “We didn’t handle some things well at the end of the game, but we did just enough,” Cobb said.

View more articles in:
Columbia City's Parks Department's Valero Junior Golf Tour played Monday at Eagle Glen Golf Course...
Whitko's 10-and-under baseball travel team advanced to the second round of semi-state play where...
Columbia City's volleyball team competed in the Hoosier Open Thursday and Friday at Bishop Dwenger....


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes