Man stabbed seven times in bar fight

     A rural Churubusco resident had his initial hearing Monday afternoon in Whitley Circuit Court for allegedly stabbing another man seven times in the gut during a bar fight Sunday morning in Churubusco.
     Twenty-six-year-old John W. Reed was originally charged with aggravated battery, battery causing bodily injury and criminal recklessness, but those charges were amended to a class C felony charge of battery with a deadly weapon.
     Reed and the victim were in a verbal argument shortly after 3 a.m. at the Pit Stop Pub, but the argument turned physical and Reed allegedly stabbed the other man seven times with a three-inch knife, according to the Whitley County Sheriff’s Department and Churubusco Police Department.
     The victim was taken by ambulance to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne where he immediately underwent surgery, according to police.
     According the case report, Reed and the victim were headed outside to settle their dispute when Reed allegedly attacked the other man.
     Reed later told police he was only trying to defend himself after the other man put him in a headlock.
     Reed is being held on a $50,000 surety bond.

Teen admits role in home burglary
     A local 17-year-old involved in a July armed home break-in pleaded guilty Monday to his role in the crime.
     Luke M. Cabiya will be sentenced for the class B felony burglary after his co-defendant’s court proceedings are finished.
     Cabiya and 18-year-old William Mullins were arrested July 20 after they broke into a home in the southwest part of Whitley County, but fled the house when the homeowner returned, according to the case report.
     The two were armed with guns during the crime and had long guns and a handgun in the car with them when police arrested them shortly after the break-in. Some of the firearms were stolen from other burglaries.
     Cabiya plans to testify against Mullins if needed, and the plea agreement calls for him to serve two years in jail, two years on home detention and six years on a supervised suspended sentence.
     Heuer said he will take the plea agreement under advisement until Mullins’ case is resolved.