Special events planned for observing nursing homes
COLUMBIA CITY — Beginning Sunday, Miller’s Merry Manor, Columbia City, will host a week-long series of special events meant to highlight and encourage communication and relationships between patients, families, communities and caregivers in the nursing center.With the theme of “Team Care: Everyone Pitches In,” the activities are part of National Nursing Home Week, May 12-18, an annual observance sponsored by the American Health Care Association of Washington, DC, and the Indiana Health Care Association. “As caregivers, providing the medical and restorative treatments that a physician orders makes up just one part of a successful rehabilitation,” stated Stephen C. Baker, administrator. “But when all the parties involved—patients and family members, as well as caregivers—come together to build relationships and create an environment where they set goals and work together as a team to achieve them, a powerful person-centered dynamic is created, satisfaction increases, and the chances for success are multiplied. “At Miller’s, we value the relationships we have with our residents and our community, and we look forward to the chance to celebrate with them during National Nursing Home Week.”Some of the week’s special events include:
- Afternoon Mothers Day Tea is set for Sunday at 2 p.m. to celebrate mothers.
- Red Hat Strutters will perform Monday at 10 a.m.
- Roy Carter will visit Tuesday at 10 a.m. He is an “Alan Jackson” look alike and will perform.
- An Ice Cream Social is slated for Thursday, May 16.
- Friday, May 17 at 2 p.m. relay races and pies in the face will be featured.
- Some of the Indiana Springs Middle School choir students will perform for the May Birthday Party, Saturday May 18 at 2 p.m.
Miller’s Merry Manor, is part of Miller’s Health Systems, Inc., a 100 percent employee-owned company, specializing in Medicare-certified rehabilitation, senior healthcare and housing.For more information about National Nursing Home week, call Jerilynn Johnson, activity director at 248-8101 or visit www.millersmerrymanor.com.