Skip to main content

Stichter, Warriors senior night tops ’Busco 70-58

February 23, 2011

Churubusco center Tyler Arrowsmith led the Eagles in a loss at Wawasee Tuesday night with 21 points. Left, Riley Stichter for Wawasee scored his 1,000th point. Post & Mail photo / Nicole Ott

   SYRACUSE — The weather wasn’t the only thing making the roads tough in boys’ basketball Tuesday night.
   Churubusco (12-6) not only had to face a 14-4 Wawasee team but traveled to Syracuse on senior night with Riley Stichter hitting the 1,000-point milestone.
   “We fully expected them to come out strong, we just didn’t handle it very well,” Churubusco head coach Michael McBride said.
   The Eagles faced a quick deficit, with the Warriors scoring on their first three possessions and jumping out to a 9-0 lead in less than two minutes.
   “I’m sure they remember we beat them last year on our floor,” McBride said. “It was a big night for (Riley) Stichter and with senior night they came out ready to go.”
   After trailing by 13 points for much of the first quarter, Churubusco’s Tavin Herendeen provided a spark for the Eagles offense, kicking off an 11-2 run in the final two minutes of the first quarter.
   “We hit shots right away but we got a couple quick turnovers,” Wawasee head coach Phil Mishler said. “That’s how quick it can go away.”
   With over half the quarter over, Tavin Herendeen scored off of three consecutive possessions and a shot with 10.2 seconds left to end first quarter scoring.
   Tavin Herendeen had eight points in the quarter and 10 for the game.
   At the start of the second quarter, Stichter scored his 1,000th point, stealing the Eagle’s momentum.
   Wawasee pulled their lead up to 33-25 but the Eagles battled back and Tyler Arrowsmith tied the score with a pair of free throws for the first and only time 33-33.
   Stichter didn’t allow ’Busco to take over the lead, scoring five consecutive points within 30 seconds.
   “Stichter was a load tonight, they did a good job getting him the ball,” McBride said.
   Stitcher finished the game with 24 points.
   ’Busco faced a four-point deficit going into the second half, 40-36, the closest it got to the Warriors for the rest of the game.
   The Eagles watched the game slip away in the third quarter handing off seven turnovers.
   Wawasee took advantage of the turnovers scoring off of five of them.
   ’Busco again made a run at the end of the third quarter outscoring the Warriors 8-3 in the final three minutes and trailing 57-50 going into the fourth quarter.
   “’Busco did such a nice job penetrating, it’s hard to defend, but their legs wore out as the game went on,” Mishler noted.
   Wawasee ran away with the score in the fourth quarter with ’Busco unable to score for four minutes.
   “We battled them well until the fourth quarter,” McBride commented. “We were worn down a little bit.”
   Arrowsmith led the Eagles with 21 points followed by Hunter Nicodemus with 12.
   “We were unable to get Arrowsmith the ball in the fourth quarter, that really hurt us,” McBride said.
   The Eagles are preparing for their own senior night against Eastside Friday night.
   “’Busco is a very good basketball team, we knew it would be a tough game,” Mishler said.

View more articles in:
Columbia City's Parks Department's Valero Junior Golf Tour played Monday at Eagle Glen Golf Course...
Whitko's 10-and-under baseball travel team advanced to the second round of semi-state play where...
Columbia City's volleyball team competed in the Hoosier Open Thursday and Friday at Bishop Dwenger....


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes