Editor’s note: The following is the first of a two-part series on the historical Luckey Hospital in Wolf Lake.
WOLF LAKE — In Wolf Lake, a town of less than 500 people, stands a piece of history that has restored, but on the brink of being obsolete.
The Luckey Hospital Museum stands on the corner of U.S. 33 and Ind. 109. It was originally built in 1929 by Dr. James E. Luckey, and began as a fully operational hospital in 1931.
Together with two of his three sons, Robert (Bob) and Harold, Luckey ran the hospital until his death in 1938.
The remaining doctors operated in the hospital until 1957, when they moved to a new building and the old hospital became a nursing home, apartments, and then a private residence.
James’s great-nieces, Mary Goodrich and Shirley Hile, purchased the building in 2000, and began the small museum.
Today, the Luckey Hospital Museum is run by Luckey’s great-niece, Sue Johnson and “the adopted Luckey” Sandy Huntsman, who is also the acting president of the board.
Tours are offered Memorial Day through Labor Day on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., but group and school tours can be scheduled all year long by appointment. Admission for those in school is $3, while adult admission is $5.
To read the rest of this story, see the April 22 issue of The Post and Mail. Don't have a subscription? Call (260) 244-5153 or subscribe to our e-edition . For breaking news, sports updates and additional coverage, bookmark the homepage  and find us on facebook  and twitter .