LORANE — Whitley County is peppered with towns that once existed on their own, but have since been incorporated into larger municipalities.
Although time may have diminished small towns’ independence, the legacy and history behind places such as Peabody and Tunker still live on.
Never has that sentiment been more true than for the little town that once was — Lorane.
Located off of West Lincolnway, near the County Road 350 West intersection, the town was founded in 1850.
In 1851, a post office was established in a small country general store which burned in 1855.
However, it’s a somewhat comical story that has left the town with three variations of its name.
Gary Burelison, who grew up in Lorane, and some of his friends, had a pure motive to better Lorane’s town marker — but the best intentions couldn’t erase the blunder that came from a simple good deed.
To read the rest of this story, see the Nov. 15 issue of The Post and Mail. Don't have a subscription? Call (260) 244-5153 or subscribe to our e-edition . For breaking news, sports updates and additional coverage, bookmark the homepage  and find us on facebook  and twitter .