COLUMBIA CITY — Despite the way the economy has struggled and the way crops are looking, the 2012 Whitley County 4-H Livestock Auction still managed to raise $373,749 for 4-Hers.
The 2012 Whitley County 4-H Livestock Auction was held in the show barn again this year on Thursday.
Ritter Cox, auctioneer, welcomed more than 400 buyers during a rainy day.
“Isn’t is amazing that we are sitting here at the auction that is once again in the show barn and Whitley County has received two and a half inches of rain. No wonder you buyers are cheerful and bountiful. We‘ve needed this rain for weeks,” said Cox.
The 2012 Whitley County 4-H Livestock Auction was coordinated by Jeff Geiger and Jason Arnold, both 4-H Inc. board members.
Total selling prices by species include the following:
* Beef (28 items) $57,816.46
* Dairy Cheese (11 items) $4,425.00
* Dairy Steer (45 items) $93,248.46
* Dairy Feeder Calves (80 items) $48,117.39
* Goat (56 items) $16,983.75
* Miscellaneous (4 items) $11,075.00
* Poultry (41 items) $7,900.00
* Rabbit (38 items) $8,505.00
* Sheep (28 items) $16,233.96
* Swine (192 items) $109,444.30