'Cats fall to Manchester

SOUTH WHITLEY — Whitko Lady Wildcats fell to 3-5 Friday, losing to Manchester, 61-56.In the first two minutes of the game, Whitko scored several baskets, jumping out to an 8-0 lead.Lady Squire Kalya Flack hit a three pointer and on the following possession, Lady Wildcat Micaela Sylvester picked up her fourth point in one minute, keeping the lead at seven, 10-3.Led by Manchester’s Meika Kennedy’s four points, the Lady Squires scored seven straight.The first quarter ended with Manchester in the lead, 13-10.Whitko’s Katie Rieff ended the Lady Squire’s 12 point run with to finish the assist from Josie Sparks.With the score 22-14 and four minutes left to go in the first half, Manchester recorded four consecutive offensive rebounds before Kennedy was finally able to score.The teams traded baskets and steals for much of the remainder of the period. With less than a minute to go, two Lady Squire buckets gave the team a double-digit lead heading into the locker room, 29-17.Though Whitko was able to stay with Machester in scoring during the third, the Lady Squires held tight to the double-digit advantage.Trailing by 12 with two minutes to go in the third quarter, Whitko recorded a steal, however was not able to capitalize on the turnover.Manchester also missed a shot, but the offensive board was grabbed and put back by Kaylee Watson. Another Kennedy shot from beyond the arc, and the Lady Wildcats found themselves down 17.They started the final period down 14.Sylvester hit two shots and earned three trips to the charity stripe in the early minutes of the fourth, but the defense continued to allow Manchester to maintain its lead.Olinske hit two free throws with five minutes left and Whitko was finally back to a single-digit deficit, 51-42.Lady Squire Hannah Little, off of her own rebound, again put the team up by 11.Aside from a single point from the stripe from Malyssa Bedke, Whitko scored the next seven, culminating with a Sylvester free throw.The Lady Wildcats pulled within six points, 55-49.Unfortunately, both teams were in the penalty foul-wise; they would both spend the rest of their time at the line.Over the final two minutes of the game, Manchester went 8-10 in freebies. Whitko went 4-5 and Olinske contributed a bucket, but it was not enough to close the gap, losing 61-56.___Don't have a subscription? Call (260) 244-5153 or subscribe to our e-edition. For breaking news, sports updates and additional coverage, bookmark the homepage and find us on facebook.